Sunday, April 22, 2012

A New Freedom

It seems I have been waiting a very long time to end my SIF/family building journey. So unbelievable in some ways that in a weeks time, it will all be over!

Relief has been the main feeling I've felt for the last few months. Relief that life can soon/now be about different things - other things.

I had coffee with a friend this weekend who is going through primary infertility. How nice it was to be able to share with her that there is an end to it all - an end to the emotional torture, regardless of whether a baby comes or not.

We purchased some bunks this week for our spare room. When we bought our house two years ago, one of the reasons was because it was a three bedroom home and could accommodate our hoped-for family-of-four. The social worker from Adoption Services came round and inspected our place. She ticked it off as been a good home for an adopted child.

So for the two years we've lived here, our spare room has been an in-between room - a room that might one day be decorated or kitted out for our addition.

Now that that isn't going to happen, we've accepted that our spare room is a guest room/office (aka my "woman-cave"!). It's not the biggest of rooms so the bunks fit perfectly for guests and I have space to write in the office and do whatever else I want to do (blog, use Facebook...)

The closure around this era feels good. I'm certainly ready for it and embracing it - the end of an era.

There are changes ahead.  I was sharing with the friend going through primary infertility how small my world became when dealing with secondary infertility/going through premature menopause. Well my world is opening up again and I just want to embrace and enjoy life.

I am not happy in my job and am making steps towards finding another one. I have decided I want to do teacher aiding as it fits in with school hours and working with special needs children has always been an interest of mine, even before I was a Mum and ended up with a daughter with autism - that is simply one of life's ironies. 

My current part-time job is demanding and unrewarding in so many ways.  I am done with it. I want to teacher-aide and then find time in my week to write, write, write - because at the moment that (writing) isn't happening as much as I'd like it to. My brain is too full with the stress of my job and I am exhausted a lot with my husband working 12 hour days. 

I want and deserve a more balanced life - especially after enduring a disappointment (understatement) like the one I've been through - 5.5 years of pining is too bloody long, if you ask me. And not in character with how I usually respond to life's u-turns. Normally I get it quite fast in the piece - I back paddle out of situations that don't appear to be working for me. But not with SIF. It was just something I couldn't let go of for a very long time.

But I have no regrets. I TTC, used fertility drugs and went through the adoption process for another child and nothing worked. I can't say I didn't try or didn't give it my best shot.

Now that I have a conclusion, I finally feel I can sit down and spend some time writing my book about my experience. Even though I've been blogging on this topic for four years, and I've wanted to write a book about it for some time and have started editing my blog; I did need an ending to give me a perspective of some sort. I like that I can offer a tale of stamina, strength and honesty based on not getting what I wanted.

I've met a few women - mainly online but also some in real life (through the infertility support group I started), who once they got pregnant after a time of infertility, hoped and even believed that I would too - or later down the track,  believed that we would get picked as adoptive parents. I wanted to have the faith these women had for me after their dreams were realised but I guess at some point reality hit and I knew the chances of me joining them were incredibly slim, for reasons known only by God.

When I drove past Adoption Services this week I could only think it was meant to be part of our journey - going through the adoption process. I learnt a lot and healed too around not being able to have a biological child at that time. I know I could raise a child that wasn't biologically ours now. I probably always could have done that, but after having a biological child it did take a while to make that leap.

Now I'm in a position of seeing the word's children in a different way - it's not just about mothering our own, it's about mothering those that come to us. I know with teacher aiding I will bond with children in some amazing ways. I've been there before, a lifetime ago before I was a mother myself - nurturing children with special needs. I guess this is the direction I am meant to be heading in.


3 comments:

sandie_bee said...

I just wanted to say thanks. My husband and I are at the very start of the adoption process after being told we are highly unlikely to ever have our own children. Your blog has been great to read through and get an insight into the highs and lows. I wish you the very best in your future journey. Thanks so much for recording your experience and sharing your life.

Cindy said...

Hi, I just happened to check into daily strength - haven't been there in 3 years! And I saw a message you sent to me in 2011 with a link to your blog. Isn't it interesting that I stumbled upon your profound words just 1 day after a new chapter in your life began? It makes me happy to see you have moved on, it gives me hope that it can happen to me too. I am struggling up to the place you are now; after many years of TTC I am now waiting for my October deadline when our insurance approval runs out so we can finally move on as a family of 3. I will be looking forward to your book but I think I already know the story - I've been living it too! But you are so eloquent in your words and have put my jumbled thoughts into some kind of order. Thanks for sharing your experience; you probably don't realize how many people you have touched by doing so.

Cindy said...

Hi, I just happened to check into daily strength - haven't been there in 3 years! And I saw a message you sent to me in 2011 with a link to your blog. Isn't it interesting that I stumbled upon your profound words just 1 day after a new chapter in your life began? It makes me happy to see you have moved on, it gives me hope that it can happen to me too. I am struggling up to the place you are now; after many years of TTC I am now waiting for my October deadline when our insurance approval runs out so we can finally move on as a family of 3. I will be looking forward to your book but I think I already know the story - I've been living it too! But you are so eloquent in your words and have put my jumbled thoughts into some kind of order. Thanks for sharing your experience; you probably don't realize how many people you have touched by doing so.