Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Just a short post today to wish my readers/followers a very Merry Christmas. Thanks for reading and keeping up with my story. I sincerely hope 2011 comes with some good news for you all - in whatever form that may be.

We received a letter from Adoption Services this week to say that our profile has been accepted. So except for a small amount of paperwork that we will need to do in January; we are done and dusted with the adoption process. It's a good feeling. :) Our file is valid until April 2012 - if we want to remain in the "waiting pool" after that we have to send out a new application form, do another lot of medical and police checks plus provide two referees again. It will be interesting to see if we want to remain in the pool when this eighteen month period is up. I thought we'd be in for two years but obviously they start the two years from when the main application form is handed in.

I'm feeling pretty good as Christmas approaches. I'm surrounded by extended family right now which helps ease the pain of SIF that rears it's ugly head this time of year. I do have to apply self-preservation though and have to put a little distance between myself and some families of four that I know.

I left Dailystrength last weekend which was a freeing thing to do. I have also told the members of the local IF support group that I have started that I will be stepping down from hosting nightly meetings next year. I am still keen to organise casual cafe meetings every couple of months but personally need to move on from hearing about IF regularly. I really want and need to heal from it all. I'm hoping someone from the group will step into my shoes and offer to take nightly meetings or organise something so that the women who are still TTC/ going through treatments have somewhere to go.

My daughter was with me when we handed in our profile over a week ago. She has been telling kids and adults that she is "getting a brother or sister." For the most part she understands it is only something that might happen. But my heart does break for her whenever I hear her mention the sibling thing. For that reason I am glad that we have this eighteen month period of time to get through - to wait. I don't think as a family we can wait too much longer for a child to join us as we all need the closure - but at least it's not far now til we will get that. But I don't know what kind of a space we will be in when our eighteen months in the pool is up - perhaps we will want to wait another two years. I've no idea. But for now I have to break it down in chucks - smaller periods of time are easier to manage.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone. xx

1 comment:

Heather said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I'm praying for a speedy adoption process for you. I think getting some distance from those groups will be very freeing for you right now, as you wait to welcome another child in your home. We've talked about adoption before we had the twins. Before then Phoebe used to ask all the time if we could adopt and that she wanted a little sister more than anything. Can you believe now that she's 10 years old, she's still asking for us to adopt a little sister! I don't think I could handle a fourth child unless I didn't work anymore. Keep up the good work and working on healing. I still am.