Sunday, March 6, 2011

Baby cravings 4.5 years on

My daughter will be six in two weeks time. That means we have now been hoping to add to our family for 4.5 years! - as we started TTC when she was 18 months old. It seems like it's been a very, very long period of time. The desire to have and hold another baby again has never diminished, despite the different seasons of SIF over the years.

Yesterday we had a family swim after our daughter's swimming lesson and we sighted three babies. It is still not foreign to me to want to scoop a baby up and assume baby-care behaviour whenever I see a baby. I'm probably not explaining it well - but sometimes I hear mothers with completed families comment that they cannot imagine going back to the baby years or that they have forgotten what it was like to handle a baby. Not me. Perhaps because we had an unsettled baby and then child (and still do at times) for so many years; I don't find it hard to remember. I suspect there is a part of me that has been just waiting/hanging out for the opportunity to do it all over again. Well, I know there is part of me that wants to do that again. Obviously I have never felt as though I was done and dusted with any aspect of raising a child - I still want to do it again - the baby years, toddler years. preschool years - all of it!

A Mum of Two complained to me this week that looking after her two kids was like groundhog day. Yes, she knows about my SIF. And I get it. Any aspect of life can be mundane. But looking after children - I have never thought that was boring or that I wanted to do something else with my time. I guess I have known for years that I was lucky and blessed to have my daughter - never took motherhood for granted as I suspected somehow - before I knew I was infertile - that she was a very special gift. Of course I get frustrated and tired and challenged like any other mother at times - I also have bad days. But I have never lost sight of how precious a gift it is to raise a child. Never. So I feel like giving Mums a back-handed slap when I hear them grizzling about the two kids (or more) they have in their care. Obviously I am not the woman to whinge to...

I'm on the look-out for a second job that will fit around family life - a second job that will put some money in the bank for travelling to see family that live out of town. It will only be a few hours a week. I have been quite flat in my part-time job of late - there are many challenges there - but I guess I will hang in there for the year while quietly keeping an eye out for other options.

I'm trying to be positive about where things are at in life right now - to think that even though we are in limbo family-wise as we sit in the pool for prospective adoptive parents; we can move forward in other ways. The truth is the hours I work suit family life and my daughter's first years in school. But in a couple of years time perhaps I will look at increasing my work hours if we remain a family of three. But I've had to create some goals for myself once again - as I've had to several times over the years with SIF - so I feel like life is still moving forward. So I'm having a stall in a local market at Easter time which will inspire me to do some more painting. I'm also allocating Friday's to working on my art - writing and painting - and am aiming to give freelance writing a go this year.

I probably sound like I am all over the place and I am a little bit. Still a bit shaken post-earthquake here in New Zealand. Even though it wasn't something I felt or was directly affected by it has affected as nationally as a country big-time. It is the first disaster we have had in this country that has resulted in a national state of emergency. It's big. And I know it's a time of feeling grateful for what we have in life - and I do...but at the same time, I feel my SIF wounds are wide open as it only reinforces what I've always believed and felt - that life is about family and the relationships we make. Who gives a shit about all that material stuff. Not me. Our family still feels incomplete. I cannot shake the feeling - no matter what angle I look at things from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can identify so much with this post. Googling info on secondary infertility today as we are facing IF for the second time (for, ironically, completely different reasons). We have a 5 year old and have been either ttc or wanting to ttc for almost 4 years now (we took a break... but it wasn't a break from wanting a baby...). It is funny to me as well that while struggling with IF the first time I had such a hard time being around babies but now long to be around them. I feel much the same as you... my family is not complete and I can't identify at all with the "my family is finished" feelings that so many my age tell me about. Thinking of starting a blog just on SI, which has for various reasons become much more of an issue over the past couple of weeks... but for now, linking to my real blog.