Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Two inspiring women

I am a great believer in the God of my understanding talking to me through people, places and things. Today I had one of those encounters.

I was at the gym and I had a sauna afterwards. In the sauna was a Mum I've had several heart-to-hearts with during my SIF ordeal. But I haven't seen her for a while as our kids are at different Kindy's and we move in different circles. She has a very strong faith and was so very open around her own path. She already had two older children when at the age of thirty-eight she decided she wanted another one. After some time it became apparent she couldn't use her own eggs. I cannot remember the exact ins and outs of her journey to conceive but she ended up finally having not just another child but twins via donor eggs at the age of forty-eight! She'd been in her early fifties now with a couple of girls who are almost five and starting school in the next couple of weeks. Her path to have these precious twin girls was so very long yet she once said to me that her faith never wavered. She just knew she had to keep going - that it was going to happen one day, somehow.

We did a bit of the small talk stuff at the gym today and then I just told her that we were almost half-way through the adoption process. It was great to update her as the last time we talked about things I was on one of my rounds of Clomid, I think.

Her strong faith - in timing, in deliverance etc is inspiring - as is her story. I was able to share with her that my desire to have another child was so very strong and adoption just felt like the right route for us now. I also said to her that the greater spacing between kids would probably be best for us given that our daughter has ASD. It has been quite the challenge at times parenting a child on the spectrum yet we've been able to pour so much of our energy into her without having to worry about a baby or even a toddler needing our love and attention at the same time.

This woman today brought up another inspirational woman who lives in our neighbourhood. This particular woman wasn't able to have biological children but for many years has both fostered and adopted several children - like heaps of children. You would never know who was who if you saw her out with her kids. We used to go to the same music group and she showered her foster kids with as much love as her adopted children - she is amazing. The interesting thing is she will be one of the speakers at the Education and Preparation Programme in just over three weeks time that we are going to! I'm rapt that I know her already. I have pondered before about approaching her and having a chat but never have. Perhaps I am meant to just hear her story formally through Adoption Services.

These two inspiring women who are just amazing, full of love and the best Mums just give me so much hope and faith that things just could work out for us on the adoption front. If anything, today's chat at the gym was a confirmation from the universe that we are heading in the right direction.

No comments: