Saturday, December 6, 2008

Laughter is the best medicine

There is a scene in the Sex And The City movie where Carrie, amidst her grief, makes a joke. This is noted by Samantha: "Awww, she made a little joke." It was the beginning of Carrie moving on, after her break-up with Mr Big. (sorry if that was a movie spoiler - but I'm assuming most people have seen the SATC movie by now).

Yesterday a friend and I took our three year olds to a cafe for a couple of hours. (the one connected to the pottery gallery I work in). This friend has a fifteen month old which she left behind with her partner. So it was pretty relaxing for her going out with just her eldest daughter. She doesn't get a lot of one-on-one time with her three year old. This has been pointed out to me a couple of times: the advantage of having just one child and all the time you can give them. I see the point and am lucky I can do a lot of stuff with just myself and my daughter. In the midst of my SIF days I didn't see this as a pro at all.

It was a hot Summers day at the cafe and we were able to chill for a bit as the girls raced around. We had one of those you-had-to-be-there moments in which we laughed hard after a series of silly incidents that happened at our table like something out of a bad comedy in which I ended up falling forward into my scone. When I sat up my right boob was covered with cream.

Throughout my whole SIF ordeal I was grateful for the lighter moments in life. Being able to laugh with my daughter, at myself as I learnt the Bodyjam dance moves, laughter at chick flick movies, laughter watching Ben-Stiller-type comedies with my husband, and laughter shared on some girlie nights out. Each time I laughed I felt like I was healing my battered heart.

I feel like I am able to laugh more these days. Already I can how I really was in bad place for quite a few months. I felt so serious and down-hearted. But it's just where I was. I am someone who likes to laugh, to joke, to have fun. It's so nice to see that side of me resurfacing again.

No comments: