Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A new kind of strength

It's only been a matter of weeks since I let go of a former dream. Yet the further I get away from my SIF days, the more I can see how strong I've become as a result of accepting the unacceptable (to me).

A couple of weeks ago I sat a couple of tests for a transcribing job. I failed the english test. I think that's ironic since I consider myself a natural writer. The standard is pretty high to pass and I knew I mucked up some of it. I can try again in a few months when they are next recruiting. The thing is I wasn't bothered by this "failure." It just wasn't meant to be at this point in time. After struggling for two years with SIF; it was a truly insignificant loss to me.

I only have a couple of classes left with my art class. I have been painting a bit as the market myself and a few friends are holding a stall in is in just a few weeks. I am an amateur painter - that is for sure. But I am determined to give the stall a go - just to have a bit of fun and to put myself out there. It has been such a good thing for me to do. To work towards something positive while allowing myself to play a bit creatively.

I have a (free) counselling appointment next week. My Dr referred me for counselling over two months ago when I went on to the anti-depressants. The last time I went for counselling I was in the midst of no-where-land with SIF. It will be good to go to counselling again now the SIF door has been closed. Hopefully it'll give me the opportunity to process some lingering feelings.

We've had some gorgeous weather lately and I've felt quite uplifted by the onset of Summer. I love that we live ten minutes walk from the beach. Luckily my daughter is a beach babe and so we'll be in for lots of swims this Summer.

There has been a bit more happening help-wise around my daughter's ASD. It's great but it's overwhelming at times. An early intervention teacher came to our home last week and then observed my daughter at Kindy last week. The assessment is taking place to see if a teacher's aide is appropriate in the future. I went to a "Mulled wine and massage" evening for parents/caregivers of autistic children on Friday night. The idea was learn some basic hand and foot massage techniques to pass on to the children and to incorporate it as part of their week. The woman I paired up with had a daughter the same age as mine also with mild ASD so it was interesting exchanging stories with her.

All in all it feels like life is settling down a bit - or at least, that I am settling down. I'm still just taking it all One Day At A Time.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Mmmm. Mulled wine and massage sounds great! Hang in there. I know what you mean about having much more ability to cope now with what you've been going through.