Thursday, September 3, 2009

My paper pregnancy

I have heard the adoption process being referred to as a "paper pregnancy." It seems to be a very apt term.

Although there are obviously no physical symptoms to be experienced; there are lots of psychological and emotional processes to go through as the paperwork side of things gets done.

I'm finding that I am going through the highs and lows all over again now that we're on the adoption route. Maybe not all over again - I guess the highs and lows never actually stopped!! But the adoption route roller-coaster is perhaps different to the SIF one.

With SIF I was pretty much a lost cause from quite early on. Some SIs have the regular cycles and ovulation on their side - at least the basics to work with, even if they are still have problems TTC. Me, I didn't have the basics. It was like playing cricket without a bat.

With adoption, I believe our stakes are a lot higher. So I feel more hopeful around adoption than I ever did with SIF.

However, fears, doubts and concerns seem to be part of going down the adoption route. I have been sharing my thoughts and processes around open adoption with some friends and family. Naturally people have their opinions on it. I am still trying to get my head around the fact that you lose a sense of "ownership" with open adoption. Not that any of us own our children; but we do naturally tend to think of our kids as - our kids.

I have been feeling a real mix of "this could really work for us" and grief as I make the shift from adding a child to our family biologically to via adoption.

I dropped into Playgroup this morning which is next to Kindy - I took my daughter there for three years. I went in to have a look at their library system as we are replicating a similar one at Kindy. I felt fine, even good this morning and then I saw a couple of MOTs I know. It's like my spirits spiralled right there and then. I guess for so long I thought I was going to be taking my second child there while my daughter was at Kindy. Instead I go in and I feel somewhat haunted by the loss of a former dream.

Sigh. It's a gorgeous day so I am going to go for a walk. I need some quiet time with me and God. I mainly feel pretty optimistic about adoption, but the whole paper pregnancy is all new to me and there are bumps along the road every now and then, it would seem.

No comments: