Friday, December 21, 2007

Lost in space

Well I went to the new Dr's this morning. As I walked down the road I realised I did have some expectations about the visit. In my head it went something like this: Meet new Dr who instantly would realise how important it was to address the issue of my new-found cyst, next I'd get an urgent referral to the obstetrician and then the cyst would be removed, my periods would return to "normal", I'd start ovulating and then and I'd be back on track for baby-making.

How silly of me to think things would be so simple!

Turns out my Dr had neither my notes from my previous medical centre or the radiologist and so the entire consultation was based on my verbal interpretation of things so far. I wasn't so happy about that. I'd been informed that all notes would have made it to my medical centre by the time I made the appointment for today but given Christmas is around the corner and such a thing as "Nelson time" exists in this town; it probably isn't that surprising that they weren't there.

My new Dr is lovely - don't get me wrong. She is both approachable and warm - qualities my former Dr didn't have. However I continually seem to fall into the trap with Dr's in thinking that they will somehow magically fix things but more often than not, I leave with with a huge amount of disappointment with often unresolved issues with my tail between my legs.

The Dr recommended I make an appointment to see my obstetrician asap which I have done. Only thing is I can't get in until Jan 16 as he is away (of course) for a few weeks. She also empathised I better get on with things - particularly Clomid "given my age. I get that. However I can't take Clomid until I actually have another period and so I am in a holding pattern there.

So once again I feel as though I am lost in space a bit. There is such a gap between appointments - to the doctor, to the radiologist, to the doctor and then to the obstetrician - it takes months to even work out what the "problem" is. And after all this I may possibly just end up back where I was, except with the knowledge that there is a cyst in there.

My new Dr reckons because the cyst is only 5cm, the obstetrician may wait to see if it shrinks before doing anything. She seemed to think it wasn't harmful to try for a baby with the cyst in there and thought me getting pregnant was the priority rather than treating the cyst. Although she did think possibly there was a connection between my (almost) four month cycle of late, bloated stomach, dull pelvic pain, and other symptoms; she also thought irregular cycles may be occurring regardless of the cyst and therefore that finding a cyst wasn't the answer to all my woes as I thought it might have been. Given that her opinion was based on my word only; hopefully once the ultrasound scan notes are viewed by the obstetrician, I may get a different opinion.

Who knows. I have a month to wait for my next medical appointment and that's all I can do - wait. Give me strength!!

No comments: