Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A new chapter on the health front

I feel quite relieved after going for a pelvic ultrasound scan today. It turns out I have a cyst on my left (well, my only) ovary. It's 5cm and the radiologist thought my Dr will probably refer me to an obstetrician where it will be investigated further. I felt positively elated when I heard the news. The radiologist commented I was "too young to be in menopause" (I've heard that a lot over the last year) and I'll take that for now - a cyst over menopause! Apparently my lack of periods for over three and a half months and my bloated abdominals are symptoms of a cyst - which I'd heard and hence why I went in for the scan in the first place.

Today I also got accepted as a new patient at our local medical centre. A friend had recommended a particular female doctor who is on the mark with women's issues. And so I'm looking forward to my first appointment with the new Dr on Friday.

I feel like things are moving somewhere. For the last few months I have been in limbo land, not knowing what the hell has been going on. I appreciate this is going to take a while to sort out. No doubt I won't get an appointment with the obstetrician until next year, then the cyst will have to be sorted out before I can even consider starting Clomid. I can't get too far ahead of myself and so will just take it one step at a time.

But today I actually have faith that things just might turn out okay. I read an article in a magazine today in the radiology waiting room about a woman who conceived after 26 IVF treatments! She then went on to conceive her 2nd child naturally within months. Stories like this plant seeds of hope in my unsure mind.

The female reproductive system is one minefield and I get the feeling science has only tapped the tip of the iceberg. All of us mum-wannabes can do is wait and trust the processes we are going through will eventually give us the babe in arms we are all pining for.

No comments: