Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deep breaths

Oh man, my stress levels have been sky-rocketing of late. It's just been a series of several things piling up. It's like the "healer lady" picked up - I am operating in high anxiety mode right now.

Yesterday I took my daughter for an appointment with a Paediatrician. This was the referral appointment we got as per observations/recommendations from her (former) Playgroup, Plunket, our family Dr and a general gut feeling I had, that some of her social behaviour was perhaps indicative of something along the lines of Aspergers Syndrome. After what seemed like a lengthy appointment (slightly over an hour), a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder was made. This is of course not set in stone. This was based on questions asked yesterday only.

Although it is good to know what's going on, no parent wants their child put in a box so it isn't the easiest news to process. If you are a friend or family member reading this post, please keep this information under your hat as we haven't fully discussed it as husband and wife. We have another appointment with the Paediatrician in about two months and in the meantime will have an appointment with Child Development Services up at the hospital who will give us tips/help in different areas of our daughter's development.

I guess being a MOO, I'm aware that there is the potential to want to bundle my only child up in cotton wool. But I feel this diagnosis can be and should be seen as a positive thing. Since I hinted to my daughter's Kindy for instance that she may have something like this going on, they have been in tune with where she's been at and she is thriving. They have been encouraging eye contact, for instance and just in three short weeks she has improved immensely on that front.

At least I'm getting some answers to some questions I've had for many months in regards to my own health issues and my daughter's social issues. It is not easy getting the cold, hard facts but at least it gives us a point of reference to work from.

When it rains, it pours. As far as my emotional plate goes; it is full. I can't take on anything else right now thank-you God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes....you do have a lot on you plate! I am glad the kindy teachers are giving such good care to your daughter....i am always here to "talk" if you ever want!
XX
Nancy (A)
311