Monday, May 12, 2008

Back home!

I was discharged from hospital Sunday lunchtime (yesterday) which happened to be Mothers Day here. It was a nice day to come home. My Mum stayed for the weekend and cooked up about a weeks worth of food including a banana cake. Our daughter hadn't quite grasped it was Mothers Day but kept saying "Happy Birthday Mummy!" which was close enough - and very cute!

I felt ready to leave hospital after three nights in there as I was on my way with my recovery and walking around okay. However I do feel quite weak and sore and will certainly be taking things quite slowly for a bit.

The operation was a success - I think. In the end two cysts were removed and the bigger cyst was a lot smaller than the gyno thought it would be. He also unattached my ovary from my uterus so it is now suspended freely. My gyno is a man of few words at the best of times so it is unclear as to where I'm at with things and what the former even means. He did remark that perhaps he could have left things for another six months and the cysts may have gone by then. So I am left wondering if the surgery was even necessary. However I will be sent some notes in time so hopefully things might make more sense then. What I have on my discharge notes is "uncomplicated ovarian cystectomy. Good post-op recovery."

I've had some bleeding since the op but not sure if this is AF or not, so not sure where I'm at in my cycle. But next cycle I'm doing another Progesterone day 21 test to see if I'm ovulating or not. If I'm not, I'm back on the Clomid.

I'm on both paracetamol and codeine right now so am operating in a bit of a fuzz. My husband has taken the day off work which'll be good as I make the hospital-to-home transition.

My husband visited me in hospital a bit and brought our daughter up a few times. However the visits with her were pretty short as she got pretty bored and restless after ten or so minutes. So I really didn't parent her for over three days which was wierd. It was up to me to decide when I was ready to leave hospital and I didn't think it was too good for our family for me to be away for more than three nights. Obviously if I needed it health-wise I would have stayed on but I've all in all recovered pretty well after the op.

The public hospital experience wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been. The nurses were great, the food not too bad and I had my own (two bed) room for the first night and then shared it with a 24 year old woman with endometriosis for the following two nights. I had a four and a half hour wait for my operation though and managed to read half a book while in the theatre waiting room. So I finished that book and read four magazines while up there. One of my friends, a MOO who came up to visit said she was almost jealous when she saw me lying there reading a mag. I said "all you have to do is grow a couple of cysts, and you too could be lying here!"


2 comments:

Carrie Ann said...

Glad your surgery went well and your doc gave you some good meds! ;) Happy (belated) Mother's Day to you!

Anonymous said...

Do you have endo? google Endometriosis Research Center, centerforendo.com, endometriosissurgeon.com, endoexcision.com...