Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Infertility and fairy-tales: who knew?

My daughter is sick today with a vomiting bug that started around 5.30pm last night. It's not thought to be connected to her surgery but she has an appointment with the family doctor at 1pm. So it's been a case of tv and audio stories to get us through the morning.

My daughter's favourite audio fairy-tale is The Gingerbread Man. Both my husband and I sat up at the start of the story recently: Once upon a time, an old woman and her husband lived alone in a little old house. They had a dog, a cat, a horse and a cow but something was missing.The couple had no children, and being lonely, the woman decided to make a boy (out) of gingerbread. (Click here for the rest of the story.)

I did a quick search on the Net and there are references to infertility in a couple of fairy-tales, just as there are in The Bible. I found a site that provides the annotated versions of The Gingerbread Man and Sleeping Beauty. Very interesting, I thought. Obviously infertility has existed across the ages yet we are led to believe it's a modern condition, especially with the accessibility of fertility drugs and treatments. Imagine being an infertile a generation or two ago when the average family was around the size of a sports team. Secondary infertiles would have stood out like a sore thumb back then too, no doubt.

Anyway, my daughter's asleep on the couch. The poor things had a rough week so far. Hopefully she's on the mend now though.

No comments: