Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Discharge instructions

My heart just about stopped when at my pre-admission check (for surgery) I was handed a sheet headed "Discharge instructions following hysterectomy" (!) I queried it obviously and the nurse said to just cross out the word hysterectomy, but that the information on the sheet was still relevant. Here's what's on the sheet:
* Avoid constipation, eat plenty of fruit, high roughage diet and fluids - 2-3 litres of water daily
* No sexual relationships until after your check-up with your gynaecologist or GP.
* You can expect that there may be some fresh blood loss and discharge from the vagina. Providing there is no more than a normal period, do not be concerned
* Do not be concerned if you have discomfort at the end of passing urine, this is quite normal.
* Avoid heavy lifting, stretching, sudden movements and vigorous sports for 6-8 weeks after surgery.
* You will feel tired and require assistance with household chores for a couple of weeks
* If you have young children, you will find it quite a strain to look after them.
* You should feel comfortable enough to drive a car after 2-3 weeks.
* Generally your body will tell you what you are capable of doing. If you get too tired, slow down and rest.
* Do not return to work until after being seen for your check-up, unless otherwise arranged with your Gynaecologist.
* Do you require a Medical Certificate or letter for work? If so, please let the Doctor know well in advance to avoid last minute delays.
* It is important that you make and keep your check-up appointment with your Gynaecologist or GP.

Most of these instructions are very similar to a c-section recovery and pretty straight forward. The only difference was last time I couldn't drive for six weeks after a c-section (the incision was slightly bigger and of course a baby was delivered as well).

So I sent my husband off to the supermarket last night. I felt quite exhausted after my first full day back at home yesterday. I went for a very small, slow walk up the road and back but apart from that was very low-key. Or so I thought. Still, walking around the house and standing up when you've been on your back in hospital for a few days is a bit of a transition.

My husband has gone back to work today so it's my first sole-charge day with my daughter post-surgery. I plan to walk up to Playgroup this a.m with her. Then the rest of the day will be pretty quiet. My daughter understands that I have a "sore tummy" yet my tummy has been sat on, and kicked a few times already. (accidentally, of course). Because I normally get up to our daughter at night I'm currently sleeping with her in our bed and my husband is in her single bed. When in hospital he shared our bed with her.

Emotionally I'm numbed out with all the pain relief I'm taking. Also it takes a little while for the general anesthetic to come out of the system. So I'm probably a little out of it and "floaty" right now.

Taking a pee is getting easier but number twos (sorry about the TMI!) are pretty painful. Especially the first back-log from my hospital stay. I've still got a lot of blocked wind which is the worst. But that will obviously lessen over time.

My gyno said there's no need to have a check-up with him or my GP before TTC; it's just when I feel ready. It's going to be a few weeks at this point - I'll tell you that much!

No comments: