Friday, May 23, 2008

Researching books about secondary infertility

I know one or two of you out there have read the book Wanting Another Child - Coping with Secondary Infertility by Harriet F. Simons. It sounds as though it is perhaps the only book out there exclusively written about secondary infertility. If you've read it, could you please tell me your thoughts - did you like it?/was it helpful?/could you identify with the author?

Another book I've come across on Amazon is Twice Blessed - A Diary Of Secondary Infertility: One Woman's Journey (Paperback) by Ninotchka Beavers. It's written in diary form. I read a couple of reviews about this book. The main criticism was the author TTC #2 for just over a year with no intervention required so it was perhaps more a case of conception taking a while to happen rather than a woman struggling with infertility. Has anyone read this book? What were your thoughts about it? - did you like it?/was it helpful?/could you identify with the author?

I will look into buying both of these books on Amazon. Neither of them are stocked in our local library.

I've made a very rough plan to get my first book about SIF moving! The web site I've found about self-publishing is excellent - at the moment I'm at the planning stage of the book. Yet I will continue to write my blog which is my means of collecting and logging my personal accounts of SIF. It doesn't feel hard - it feels like a very natural thing for me to be doing. It's like all my skills are coming together to achieve a long-time dream to write my own book: marketing/graphic design and writing. I just hope I can keep focused as if I stick to my time-line; this book should be on the market by the end of this year/early next year! The editing and printing side of things may affect this deadline but I am determined to keep things moving.

It does feel really good to have most of my focus shift off the whole TTC deal. I guess I just got to a point where I was really ready to let go of it all. I do believe SIF has taken it's toll on my life physically, spiritually, and emotionally. It has taken a long time with a lot of concentrated effort to ungrasp my fingers from something I have so desperately wanted for what seems like forever. I am not cured or over it by any means. Just yesterday at Music it was painful to sit next to a MOT-to-be and a MOTH-to-be who were comparing bumps. My heartache remains - I guess it's just a bit more manageable these days.

I know I put some distance (both physical and emotional) between myself and most MOTs I know. It's a protective thing. For this reason it is a couple of my local MOO friendships that seem to be the ones that are growing. As I've shared before, us MOOs are not so housebound so I've generally found it is easier to meet up with fellow MOOs outside of our homes whereas if I want to see my MOT or MOTH friends more often than not, it is easiest if I go to them.

I've been driving again for the last few days which has been good. I'm looking at going back to my Sunday job next Sunday. And I'm thinking I might go back to the gym the week after next which is four weeks post-surgery. I thought it would okay to do the pilates/yoga class, go for a wee walk on the treadmill and to just hang out in the sauna! To be honest I have been feeling quite housebound as I've lost my family escapes (gym and work) these last two weeks.

I shared with my good MOO friend yesterday that I was writing a book about SIF. I explained how there only seem to be books about primary infertility out there and that SIF is a different kettle of fish. To that she said "oh like IVF and all that". What?! I guess there is a lot of misconception/confusion around IF all up - but SIF is an area most are quite clueless about. The medical/biological side of it is exactly the same as PIF - but the emotional side is quite different. I hope my book will not only help SI's out there but will also bridge the gap between friends and family and those going through IF.




No comments: