Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pre-Admission Check Appointment

It turns out yesterday's Pre-Admission Check Appointment was more about paper-work than a consultation. I had to answer questions for a nurse and the house surgeon who "will be looking after you, except for a Junior Doctor's strike on Thursday - but you'll still have your operation. I'll be there Friday though" What? So I'll be lying there recovering from surgery with no house surgeon for a day?

Dr Xxxx who will be performing the operation was nowhere to be seen. Apparently I can ask him any questions I have on the day. Hmmm. I'm not sure I'll be up to question-asking when I'm lying there all prepped for theatre! Anyway, I know all the basic details about my surgery and recovery now and am expected to be in hospital for 3-5 nights. I'm probably going to be in a ward of four. I was deemed in excellent physical health by the nurse with a 100% oxygen level which is apparently not so common. She seemed to think I was in great condition for an operation.

It's just being the usual over the last few days around additions to the family and sibling sightings. Last night my husband showed me photos of two new babies he'd been sent. One was a second baby for one family, and one a third. It got me a little reading the sign-off from the family of five. Yesterday I left my daughter with a MOT friend up the road while I went to my appointment. She was there for two hours and had a ball. When I came back she was playing happily with the eight month old. At work on Sunday two families of four met up for a coffee. It's just so normal. A normal expectation that after one child, a second one should follow.

I do think this operation is a turning point in my fertility - it's either going to bring me closer to or further away from my desire to have a second child. I do think it's that black and white.

I'm absolutely shattered (as in tired-shattered) at the moment. My daughter's been her usual unsettled self at night and I've been trying to get to bed a little earlier. I'm still going to the gym this week to let off steam and am trying to stay calm and take it easy as much as possible. Only two more sleeps to my op!

No comments: