Monday, September 1, 2008

Girl power

I had the most amazing weekend celebrating my 40th. My Girls Night Out on Friday night was loads of fun. Fifteen did Bodyjam donning bandanas that I had purchased through Canteen. Then 23 went out for dinner at a modern bar/restaurant in town. I didn't count, but I think about 12 of us went out dancing afterwards around 11pm and four of us stayed out til 3am! Yes 3am. I haven't been out that late for quite some time so I was quite impressed I made it out that late!

The next morning I had a brunch with 14 adults plus two children where I work on Sundays. It was a lovely sunny day and the brunch lasted for about three hours. It was mainly the friends who had travelled that came along to the brunch plus my Mum and her partner and a good "older" friend of mine and her husband and daughter.

The whole weekend was perfect. It all went so well and everyone had a great time. I really needed some girlie time - especially on masse like on Friday night. I realised as I looked around the restaurant when we were all seated for dinner that we had all had our trials and tribulations. Three of us out of the twenty-three have been dealing with infertility, a couple of friends have been through separation and divorce, another friend has a special needs child and one has lost her Mum recently. Others have had the usual work-life balance struggle to deal with - especially as Mums. Some of the women I invited I didn't know so well, but I had the feeling that most of us needed a good night out, regardless of the reasons.

I may have shared some life challenges with some of the women at my 40th but I've also experienced a lot of joy. It has helped things swing around a lot, I believe. To see that life balances out - that we all have our trying times but in the end, life should be about embracing the good bits. It was the friends I've had for a long time that reminded me of this as I've been through other hard times in my life and come out on the other side.

So I feel like I have arrived into the next decade with a bit of a hiss and a roar. My 40's are going to be great. I still have a bit of sorting out to do on the SIF front. There is some stuff on top that needs to be looked at. But I can see and feel the light at the tunnel now. I truly believe the doom and gloom of SIF is over. Life is starting to have a different focus now - brighter days are ahead for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it sounds like a perfect weekend!!!
Nancy A.
(311)