Tuesday, February 19, 2008

1st counseling appointment

I had my first counseling session tonight. It went well, as in I feel better for it. I have a lovely counselor who I felt "heard" me. My next appointment isn't for another month as the once-a-week evening slot is pretty popular. But perhaps that's all I need at this point.

I'm pretty exhausted after a pretty decent cry in my counseling session plus it's been a busy day.

My daughter did well at Playgroup today. We stayed for under an hour and a half and she played really well. I was right beside her the whole time and we left around the time things start to get a bit crazy at Playgroup. I started the sticker chart system yesterday - she basically gets a sticker every time she "plays nice" which she did on both her playdate and at playgroup today. I was very proud of her. The teachers commented I was doing well with her. I feel as though I have tuned into her needs again. I had become a little lax at reading her signals, thinking she had perhaps more stamina that she does. She has always been a sensitive girl who gets over-stimulated easily and it was good to be reminded of that recently.

Her Kindy phoned today to check in and make sure we still want her to go when there's a spot available. Sounds like she'll get in a little bit past her third birthday at this point. I think we need a few months to help her with her social skills before Kindy so things will probably fall into place there.

I feel I've gone a step backwards parenting-wise in a way as my daughter and I are back to where she was months ago. But it has been good to be reminded of my parental responsibilities - particularly guiding and teaching her right from wrong.

I may not have a babe in the wings but I have a little girl here who needs me very much.

No comments: