Monday, February 4, 2008

Not a spoilt-brat in the making afterall!

After a much calmer play-date with one of her peers this morning; I think our daughter doesn't quite deserve to be labeled with the spoilt-brat tag just yet (!). Her behaviour is very typical of a three year old. I guess I am just concerned that she may become self-centred (for lack of a better term), if she ends up without a sibling. However I do appreciate that having another sibling isn't going to magically transform her into a loving, caring, human-being. There are things we can do as parents to teach her to respect others and all that, regardless of whether or not she has a sister or a brother.

Like when she's a little older I thought she and I might volunteer at the SPCA and pick up a little job there such as walking dogs. I think community service is a wonderful thing to pass on to kids. Also by being exposed to church, her spiritual side has been given the opportunity to evolve. There is no pressure in our family to conform to any particular religion, so she is free to interpret God in her own way. All we want her to know is that God is out there should she choose to connect with him.

Since our extended family are spread throughout Australia and New Zealand, I have always thought she was missing out on some crucial family connections. However as time goes on it is obvious she is slowly getting to know her relatives. She has a very strong bond with the Nana she sees most which is on average, once a month.

I've also been reflecting about my own childhood and the various role models in. Every person that crosses a child's path in a significant way can make an impact - teachers, friends of parents, babysitters, coaches etc . One my very good friends who I shall call friend no. 4 is such an influence on my daughter. Although she is a generation older than me; we are kindred spirits. We drop in on her and husband almost weekly and my daughter potters around their caravan where they currently live, like she is visiting with her grandparents. Friend no. 4 has such a relaxed energy about her that it's a great place for the two of us to frequent, particularly when I am going through my own personal angst and not the relaxed mother I'd like to be.

So I've realised all is not completely lost should another sibling not arrive. We have many friends and family who will help shape our daughter. There are nine children in our extended family and no doubt if she does remain an only child, we will be inspired to make an effort to see more of them.

No comments: