Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One is hard enough work!

Today at Playgroup I ended up watching my daughter and her friend from down the street while my neighbour was busy attending to her five month old. It was exhausting running around after two almost-three year olds who were full of energy and quite aggressive in their play. Of course I was also on close watch with my daughter who is still being rather feisty towards other kids. I managed to catch her before she struck on several occasions but also had to put her on some time-outs (which aren't so effective in that environment) when she did push a few of her peers over. We did leave when a major pushing frenzy was on the cards.

My daughter left Playgroup wiped and went down for a nap as soon as we got home. I also left Playgroup wiped and went for a bit of a lie down myself! It was hard work and my neighbour commented that she was relieved I was there to help with her daughter as she didn't know how she'd cope with her two alone.

My daughter's other little friend came round for an afternoon playdate and they had a ball. It went surprisingly well (given all the behavioural dramas of late). Although it ended in tears it was my daughter's friend who was the one who lashed out this time round.

People are forever offering advice about parenthood - wanted or not. Yet many people say it gets easier. Does it? Perhaps that depends on your child and your own parenting style as although aspects of parenting have gotten easier as my daughter has grown; the preschool years are proving to be quite the challenge. I do occasionally wonder how I would have managed had our baby made it, as we would have a five month old now. So many Mums of two and more manage - because they have to. But even though I've nannied and looked after four children there is a huge difference when they are your own.

I do believe God only gives us what we can handle and I'm not so sure I would have handled two youngsters close in age given my daughter's determination and "high needs." Sometimes I just have to trust that God knows what he's doing.

No comments: