Monday, June 23, 2008

Bye bye baby-hair

I am going through a new kind of grief today - the mourning of my daughter's hair!! While I was at work yesterday my husband cut our daughter's hair without full consent from me. We had partly agreed to a trim - but not a cut. It was long and blonde, and fell half-way down her back. I was so proud of it and it was just part of what made her her. Now it sits on her shoulders. I am furious, devastated, and dismayed for so many reasons. But mainly because I didn't know it was happening yesterday. It would not have happened yesterday if I had been involved at all. Or I would have at least been there to ensure it was just a trim.

There was no time to prepare to say good bye to my precious daughter's baby hair. I cannot believe her luscious long hair is gone. :( It was also the last connection to babyhood I had. Apart from a bottle at night, there are no traces of my daughter's baby years in our household. The hair was symbolic and I wasn't yet ready to say goodbye to it. Especially as an SI. Especially because I am trying so very hard to carry on with life right now without waiting for another baby. Surely as a MOO struggling with SIF I had a right to hold on to my daughter's hair for a wee bit longer?

It is so unfair. I wasn't ready for this and I'm so very, very angry. Never did I think I would be crying over hair!

Yep, a certain someone is in the dog-box right now.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ouch! That's a bad one! My DH knows I'm very particular about our daughter's hair. I didn't even have her get a trim until she was 3 years old. She's also never had bangs, because I didn't want to have to grow them out later.

And it was just a trim. I took her to my stylist and had an envelope handy to save the cut hair for posterity. My family always saved hair from the first haircut.

Anonymous said...

well....dont want to make things worse but....i totally see how you could be feeling as you are---i would too!!!! (i have a boy so...its different) my dh would be in unbelievable trouble if he did that!!!!!!! he'd never even dream of it though---i am so particular about my sons grooming and clothes----my dh keeps out of it! you have my sympathies. i do love little girls w/ hair that touches their shoulders though....so...i am sure she looks precious.
nancy