Sunday, June 1, 2008

How many children do you have?

Last night I went to a Sex And The City party a MOT I know was hosting. It was lots of fun. The idea was to come dressed as one of the characters. I started out dressing up as Miranda then decided to go as Carrie...but ended up winning a prize for Miranda! Go figure! The prize was very generous - lots of Avon cosmetics, basically. I'm not much of a drinker these days so had two cosmopolitans and two glasses of champers while nibbling on sushi. And I was home by 11pm! I left about the time some of the party-goers were getting quite drunk. Also I went back to work today - my first day since my op and didn't want to be too tired or hung-over.

I knew a few Mums at the party as there are a few of us that go to the same local music group and playgroup here in Tahuna. But the question came up. A few of us Mums were standing around, some who knew each other, some who didn't so it was the SI's favourite question: How many children do you have? All the Mums except me replied "two". When I said "one" I did get a "oh" in response.

Socially SIF is just a little awkward to deal with. When out I want to just enjoy the moment and forget about SIF. But children are a natural part of any conversation in a party made up primarily of parents. So I guess it's inevitable that the how many children question should come up. Perhaps I should have gone as Charlotte. She was the character in SATC who was facing infertility issues, afterall.

There was a MOT at the party I know from another era - from my hometown Wellington, in my superfit gym days. She's a nurse and we started talking about operations. She asked if I wanted any more children to which I replied "absolutely". Then she said how lucky I was to have my daughter given the saga with my torted ovary. It could have been worse - I could have lost my ovary before I TTC, is what she was implying. True. But I'm sorry, I find it hard to be soothed by MOTs at the best of the times - let alone at a party when I've had a few drinks and my true feelings are at risk of spilling over.

Anyway, I had a good time and it was fun dressing up for the party. Today went well at work. I took it easy and mainly felt okay. I am looking forward to heading back to the gym this coming week! I can't wait!

No comments: