Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Adoption as an option

I haven't explored adoption seriously as an option much at all as I'm not ready to go there yet, basically. But it still needs to be considered in the grand scheme of things. My husband and I agreed right from the very beginning, when trying for a baby the first time round that if we weren't able to have our own biological children, then we'd consider adoption.

Although we're still open to the idea, it is a different story altogether once a biological child is on board. We've experienced what it's like to raise a child that is a very clear genetic mix of the two of us. We can see a mix of ourselves and extended family in our daughter. Not just in looks, but also in her mannerisms, and as she gets older, in her character. There is no mistaking that she is ours. This was confirmed with the unconditional love we have for her that surfaced as soon as she was born.

Another biological child will have to be ruled out for certain for us before letting go of the "ideal" of having a biological sibling for our daughter. One of my pulls towards having another biological child is out of curiosity to see what another child of ours might be like. Siblings with different personalities and looks fascinate me. I am very much one for promoting individualism and I sure would like the opportunity to nurture two souls that may or may not be very different.

At this point I know that I am certainly capable of loving a child that isn't biologically ours. I have fallen in love with several babies lately and have enjoyed getting to know two other little people through our babysitting swaps. I am also a former nanny with a degree in psychology and education. I worked two Summers in a children's camp in the US for children with emotional and behavioural problems. There are ten lovable children all up within our extended families, aged between a year and six years old. Not to mention the children of friends and neighbours that are part of our lives too. The point is, I connect with children out there, whoever they are. I wasn't a Mum who was introduced to children as a consequence of motherhood. Children have featured in my life, off and on, over the years. Of course, being a Mum is a whole different ball game to being a care-giver.

My husband and I obviously need to discuss this further to explore whether or not it's a viable option for us. But now isn't quite the time.

No comments: