Saturday, January 12, 2008

Finding a new focus

It's been a busy day involving lots of positive steps in regards to letting go of the old and making way for the new.

This morning I met a friend for coffee which was good for me. In a way it was a bit of a reality check and I certainly appreciated her candid sharing. I revealed a few surprising truths to myself during our chat. The main one being that actually, I am quite suited to being a Mum-of-one at this time. I love the freedom of parenting just the one almost three year-old. We go to the beach a lot and it's just so easy either paddling in the sea or sometimes my daughter befriends other kids so I pretty much stand around not doing much at all, basking in the sunshine! Obviously I still have parenting challenges, but I'm not as consumed by parenting as I once was. My main challenges now are to do with discipline and keeping my daughter occupied. Another aspect of this revelation is that I'm not much of a home-body, though I do enjoy being at home. I am not a Mum who likes to be stuck at home all day - I have to get out once, even twice a day. The honest truth is I would struggle, I think, being housebound with two very young children.

I dropped a couple of CVs off in town today as I am in the throes of finding myself a wee weekend job. I am looking forward to working in the public eye again. I have a strong desire to work somewhere with a bit of a buzz, far removed from the world of Mums and bubs.

I got home for lunch and afterwards proceeded to clear all my daughter's under three clothing out of her bedroom. I threw out the clothes with dodgy stains and boxed the rest then put them in the garage. I also put a box of baby toys in the garage that my daughter has out-grown. I chose a day in which I was feeling strong to do this. Even though I was quite sentimental sorting through my daughter's old clothes I did just think "They're good clothes. I hope someone gets good use out of them someday."

This afternoon I did a photo shoot for a freelance graphic design job I have on. I have quite a tight dead-line over the next couple of weeks so lo and behold, I may possibly be blogging a little less!

All in all I am tired - but a good tired. I feel the pre-motherhood me is starting to surface again and quite frankly, she's over the miserable outlook that wannabe-Mum-of-two tends to have!

No comments: