Sunday, January 27, 2008

Isn't it time you had another one?

A conversation on a hot Summer's day first thing this morning with an older gentleman who doesn't know me so well...

"How old's your daughter?"
"Almost three"
"Must be time you had another one then."

It's not the first time someone who hasn't known my "situation" has uttered those words and no doubt won't be the last. The interesting part is my reaction - it's very much indicative of where I'm at.

This morning I joked, and agreed with the comment. I made light of it since I'm in a light place with it all right now. And as far as small-talk goes; it was a relatively normal question to ask.

However there have been many times when my response has been a lot more aggressive, where I have had an Ally McBeal type fantasy, and I wanted to either strangle the person who asked me or scream at them about their obvious insensitivity.

Today I appreciated the man in his sixties who asked was just making conversation. I didn't take it personally whereas I have many times in the past.

Perhaps I need to design a mood badge, t-shirt or bumper sticker range with the following options that I could wear depending on where I'm at on any given day:
1. "Problems TTC my 2nd child so don't go there!!"
2. "Mother of one. Next question?"
3. "Yes I have just the one child, and not by choice"
4. "No I'm still not pregnant..."
5. "Yes I do want another child, so let's just move on shall we"
6. "Infertile woman. Please keep all adoption comments to yourself"
7. "Praying for another shot at motherhood. All prayers appreciated"
8. "TTC another baby. Today I need a hug."
9. "Fertility challenged. Tread very, very carefully"
10. "Yes I want another child. It's in Gods hands."

I'm sure there are many other versions; share them with me if you are feeling bold!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I use #10 a lot when people ask me if my seven-year-old daughter is ever going to have a brother or sister. "It's in God's hands. I've done all I can!"