Monday, January 7, 2008

The grass is always greener

This morning I took my daughter down the road for a playdate with neighbours we met at playgroup. There are two girls - one two months younger than mine and a five month old. I've gotten to know both girls pretty well in the time we've known each other which is around the two year mark. And so it is not so unusual for me to pick up the five month old.

Today I was asked to get the baby out of her cot when she woke up from her nap which I jumped at as I relish any opportunity to hold this little baby girl as she is simply delicious. Yet as I scooped her out of her cot, a wash of feelings came over me which often do when I see this baby, which is pretty much weekly. Will this happen for me? Will I get the chance to put another baby down for naps, to breastfeed and to celebrate milestones like this five month olds first tooth all over again?

Of course I don't know the answers. It is totally in Gods hands.

I'm off to Wellington the weekend after next for a hens party. The actual party starts at noon with a fun, girly day planned which includes a dance gym class, a tea party, a pampering session, a Singstar session, a cocktail party, dinner and dancing! I'm very much looking forward to it as I think it's exactly what I need - some fun in a non-family kind of a way.

As I told my neighbour about about the upcoming hens party, I was actually feeling quite envious of her family-of-four life. Yet as I disclosed my escapee weekend; she revealed her envy. For a fleeting moment I thought ha! I'm the lucky one here! Seconds later the maternal ache started up again as although I know I'll have a great time away, I'd give up a night like that in a flash for another baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is a hens party?

Lynda said...

A "hen's party" is the female equivalent of a stag do. Basically a brides-to-be night out before she gets hitched. Maybe a Kiwi term, not sure!