Saturday, January 5, 2008

What, pregnant again?

I did a double-take in the supermarket today. A Mum I've seen around in my Mum circles walked by with quite a sizeable bump. I did a double-take as I'm sure she's had a baby recently. Well it seems recently, might well be a year ago or more. She's up to her third or fourth child, anyway. That's what's so incredibly fascinating and frustrating about the whole baby making deal - how some women seem to churn them out whereas others seem to have an infinite struggle with their fertility.

Today I spoke to someone by chance who I know has grappled with primary infertility for quite some time. I've heard about this through the grape-vine but didn't go there today. So it was interesting hearing this woman talking about her upcoming year, keeping the conversation light and positive. As you do. Of course you're not going to bring up your infertility woes with every person you come into contact with.

But it's a shame I think that infertility is seemingly dealt with behind closed doors. It's almost as if those afflicted think they have something to be ashamed about. I know I do on some level as quite clearly something is wrong with me fertility-wise; even if it's just a biological issue. Things just aren't working as they should and when you see a woman like I did today who falls pregnant so easily, it's hard to not go there.

No comments: