Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I have a nice Dr!

I finally caught up with my Dr on the phone today to check-in about the ultra-sound I had just before Christmas that revealed a 5cm cyst on my only ovary. I have an appointment with my gyno a week today and also just wanted to make sure all was in order with a referral letter being written by my Dr to the gyno and that my notes had transferred across from my last doctor.

Nothing new revealed about the cyst today except that it was recommended by the chief radiologist, whose notes my Dr read out, that I get the cyst looked into further. Which I am doing next week. My Dr said the gyno will probably either suggest another ultra-sound in six weeks or so (to see if the cyst shrinks), take a closer look at it via a laparoscopy, or maybe even give the green flag for fertility treatment to start. Of course she was speculating only. I don't know what'll happen until I have the appointment.

My Dr said "you and he will work it out" which was refreshing to hear as often in the past I have felt somewhat bullied around medical decisions. I do totally agree with that thinking, as it is about me taking my fertility issues into my own hands and seeking the help I need, always only doing what feels right for me at any given time.

My Dr then said What would you like to do Lynda? And this threw me for a second as my past experiences with the medical world have been very clinical, often with strong advice and no options given. I certainly appreciated the opportunity to think about where I wanted to head at this point in time. What I came up in answer to that question was I'm ready to start Clomid, and will work towards getting that up and running. If the cyst doesn't need to be explored further, then I'm ready to proceed.

I'm trying not to have high expectations around next weeks appointment, however. Even though I think the cyst is why my periods stopped for four months, there is no proof thus far that the cyst is responsible.

I'm just working on trusting that the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.

No comments: