Friday, October 24, 2008

Maybe it's too soon

I do have a lot to digest right now. And I have been wondering whether I need some time to process things before delving into the adoption option too much. Afterall, you wouldn't think it was particularly healthy if someone dated immediately after the end of a long-term relationship. It would be seen to be a rebound thing. The last thing I want to do here is have a rebound baby!

Yet at the same time adoption is a slow and gentle process so I'm aware it could take at least a year just to go through the process of being on the books as such and even longer to get picked. (hopefully). All I'm saying is I'm very, very aware of where I'm at.

I've been thinking about infertility and how "outsiders" sometimes expect us to just accept the unacceptable. Imagine if someone got told "I'm sorry but you will never have a long-term relationship. Sorry, that's just the way it is. You've lucked out." You'd think WTF? Doesn't every human deserve to have a life long partner (if they choose to)? Yes. And every woman and man deserves to be a parent (if they choose to). I'm just pointing out that infertility is not normal. It may not be uncommon, but it is not the way it is meant to go as far as extending the human race and all that goes. Women were given wombs and men were given sperm for a reason!!

A good friend was diagnosed with POF (premature ovarian failure) in her mid-twenties. She was cruely robbed of motherhood at such a young age. We were able to talk about things yesterday. POF is not just about premature menopause - infertility comes with it as does the loss of your womanhood (with the loss of periods). It is devastating on many levels. It is a double whammy, really. Dealing with a body that is aging prematurely on the inside while trying to accept that you will never have children. Luckily I had my daughter before the onset of POF but for many women, it hits before they've had a chance to even plan for motherhood. POF is diagnosed in women under forty BTW. I'm going with this diagnosis even though it was only a half one. I lost my periods in my late thirties; so I'm a qualifier! From what I've read on the Net, POF is often not picked up my Dr's and gyno's as per my experience. Mainly because the client appears too young. I kind of wish I'd shared with my Dr and gyno that I thought I had POF. I'm going to now, anyway.

We're away for three nights as it's a long weekend. It'll be good to have a wee break from blogging and just to be and process all that has happened. Catch you in about three days.

No comments: