Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A few tweaks to the shopping list

I went food shopping yesterday and made a few adjustments to my shopping list. I bought wholegrain bread, basmati rice, vanilla icecream instead of low-fat yoghurt (as I couldn't see a high-fat yoghurt) and kumaras. This is all in an attempt to introduce more foods with a Low GI into my diet, and to increase my intake of high-fats in dairy food as per the suggestions in The Fertility Diet and general reproductive diet advice. I've also started back on multi-vitamins. I have been taking a prenatal vitamin all along.

I feel kind of mixed about these dietary changes. On one hand it's nice to think that I could help induce ovulation in my egg-release-challenged body. On the other hand, it feels like I'm grasping at straws and I feel a little bit nutty. I mean I am now going to put icecream in my daily spirulana smoothie instead of low-fat yoghurt. Not that I'm not going to enjoy that, of course!

It is interesting though that for well over a year and a half, even more, I've had low fat yoghurt pretty much every day in my mid-morning smoothie and pototoes in just about every evening meal. This was all part of a what I thought was a healthy dietary change made after my Dec '06 chemical pregnancy yet ironically it's perhaps not helped my ovulation issues. So we shall see, I feel sometimes as if living with SIF is like being part of an equipment where the outcome is totally unpredictable. So this tweaking of my diet is just another form of SIF experimentation. It is all part of the madness.

I've not convinced myself about the theory around some plastic water bottles being linked to infertility. But hey, while I'm making some dietary changes, I thought I'd investigate that further. The article Water bottles and Bisphenol A explains this further. Toxins and Fertility
if you are interested, is a comprehensive article outlining all the environmental toxins that are believed to affect fertility. It's taking it a bit far as far as I'm concerned although it does actually make sense that all the chemicals around us in modern life could be impacting our fertility. For now I am still drinking water out of a plastic Pump bottle (like I was years before I conceived my daughter) and the dietary changes I've made this week are enough for now.

I've felt quite moody the last couple of days. Probably no more than usual. But I took my last Clomid pill last night - so that's round three finished. Who knows if Clomid has much of an affect on me - I am so all over the place most of the time that really it's hard to tell! My fingers are crossed that I will ovulate next week!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Lots of luck with this Clomid cycle!