Thursday, July 3, 2008

One procedure at a time

Every now and then I get asked about IVF. I guess it's kind of a natural (?) question to ask an infertile. Obviously what we've been trying up to this point hasn't worked, and IVF is often the last fertility treatment left to try.

Where I'm at is I can't look too far ahead in the SIF game. I'm on stand-by for round three of Clomid after the Provera I'm on (hopefully) results in AF coming. I'm aware that it is recommended that you only take six rounds of Clomid so I'm almost half-way through my quota, and the first two rounds didn't result in ovulation.

IVF is something I have an open mind about but I cannot think about it too much at this point. Firstly because right now it's not relevant to where I'm at with SIF, and secondly because in New Zealand under 40's are eligible for one free IVF and I'm 40 next month so I have missed the boat there. We have no money to cover IVF so I cannot think about it too much - it only upsets me/depresses me that should the Clomid not work - it might be the end of the road for me.

But like I say, I try to keep an open mind while at the same time living in the present within SIF. I really do trust that God works through people and things and for now, I am under the guidance of my gyno. Next Wednesday I have the free fertility information appointment with Fertility Associates. (FA). From what I could decipher from the small chat I had with the nurse at FA, there could be other options beside Clomid for me at this time - whether she meant IVF, I have no idea.

I don't want to go into detail in my blog about all the fertility treatments available to the infertile as they aren't all applicable to me. My mind would explode taking in too much information that could possibly confuse and distress me even more. If I'm meant to know, the next step will make itself clear to me. I only write about what I know - it's my style of writing. I'm not here to inform the world about infertility treatments - there are loads of sites out there that do that. I'm only here to share my experience, strength and hope around TTC.

Clomid is only considered small fry in the grand scheme of fertility treatments. There are far more complex and invasive procedures out there. Google infertility and treatment and I'm sure a range of options will come up if you're interested in reading about those.

There are certainly a few infertility myths out there including IVF is relevant to most of us infertiles which it isn't. Another myth is that those who are TTC are going at it like rabbits. Not so for those of us with ovulation problems - we don't have the luxury of TTC every month so trust me, there are very long periods of time of not actually TTC.

Earlier on in my SIF days I used to search a lot more extensively on the internet for cures, treatments and advice. Okay, so I still do it a bit. But I know it's generally not good for my head. I can start to panic about time running out, the wrong treatment being applied to me etc if I read too much.

So these days I have a much simpler approach - just to go with where I'm at. SIF affects a woman in mind, body and soul and it is a constant battle to keep oneself in equilibrium. That means for me just taking SIF one day at a time, one procedure at a time whilst remembering Gods timing is perfect.

No comments: