Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How far do I take it?

Yesterday I condensed one of the folders I have that contains my TTC/infertility paperwork. I consulted with a herbalist just before I conceived my daughter as I had had very heavy periods that often resulted in black-outs for a while. No-one (including my GP, a gyno and the herbalist) ever figured out what that was about as I didn't quite fit the box for endometriosis. (I personally think there could be a connection between three or so years of painful periods and the loss of my ovary when my daughter was delivered. No one has made this link.)

At the same time I was seeking help for my heavy periods, I mentioned I wanted to TTC and my herbalist at the time gave me a wad of information that was essentially a diet for reproductive health. However I never used it as I fell pregnant easily and the consults with the herbalist ended.

A lot of the information provided by this herbalist over four years ago is very similar to that identifed in The Fertility Diet. (as per yesterday's post). Some of it is from author Francesa Naish who goes even further to claim that the modern environment affects fertility. There is a segment about radiation which covers radiation protection during an x-ray, radiation protection for flying, radiation protection for mobile phone and long range cordless users, radiation protection for computer users, and avoidance of electromagnetic radiation. It is mind-blowing!

I dunno, although I would do almost anything to have another baby, I cannot afford to get too obsessed about this. I don't want to become Michael Jackson-like walking around in fear that a lot of the aspects of my everyday life could affect my fertility. It's kind of a case of take what you like and leave the rest. There is so much advice and help out there around infertility. That is both a blessing and a curse. At least it gives us infertiles some hope that a method may work for us - be it herbal or a form of fertility treatment. However reading too much into things can result in overwhelm and confusion.

At the end of the day, it is God who is going to determine whether or not I become a mother for the second time. No amount of herbs, fertility treatments, exercise, positive thinking, and praying is going to change that. Sure, I can do the footwork and obviously need some help with my fertility right now. However, I just have to trust that all is unfolding as it is meant to.

No comments: