Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A New Chapter

Last night I went to the first of three workshops on Stress Free Parenting held by SKIP at our local Kindy. It's essentially a workshop about disciplining preschoolers and it's free. It was good. It feels like I'm doing something positive for my daughter/our family. The Head Teacher was there and she said my daughter now has a spot to start Kindy - so she's starting on Monday! She's going into afternoon Kindy which means attending three two hour sessions a week.

I am so excited about this next phase of parenthood - becoming a Kindy Mum! My daughter and I are both ready for the next step. It means we can finally let go of Playgroup which will be a huge relief. Although I will miss the social contact and support Playgroup has provided me, it is quite timely that we leave at this point. We'll pop in in the school holidays but won't be on the role anymore as of this Thursday. I thought I would donate a book to Playgroup as a thanks for the last almost three years. (I started taking my daughter when she was six months old). It has been a great place to go to network with other Mums.

It does feel as though my world is slowly opening up outside of Mummyhood. At the workshop last night there were some Mums that I know from Playgroup/Music. The majority had two kids, one had three and one Mum announced she was pregnant with her fourth child! There were three of us with one child. Sibling rivalry came up a bit in discussions as did the limited amount of time you have with several children.

The usual mix of heart-ache and envy came up when the MOTs shared. I guess it will be there for a while. Yet when the MOF-to-be shared around the dilemma of so many children/not enough time I did think well that's my blessing then, isn't it - there is enough time in the day. My daughter and I just cruise around, really, doing our own thing.

As we move on from Playgroup I am letting go of my Mum social network a little. Music will be the only activity we'll attend weekly where I'll be swamped by MOTs and bumps. And I'm happy about that.

My social contact is now through my job on Sundays and the gym. And I'm satisfied with that. I feel like I really am no longer part of the baby/toddler world so it feels good to be moving on from that.

It does indeed feel like a new chapter. God is showing me that great things are on the horizon. I've known all along it would all work out - it's just God's plan is clearly quite different to what mine was.

2 comments:

Heather said...

So happy to hear she's going to Kindy!!! And that workshop sounds great! I always say it's important to be consistent with children. Our daughter goes through periods when she develops and attitude, which happens to all school age kids. I swear, they go to school and think they know everything and it shows when they talk to their parents. You don't know anything anymore. When DD cops and attitude with me, she has to stand with her nose against the wall for 5 minutes. Boy does that ever work! That's what my parents did to me. She only gets that bad about once or twice a week. I think she likes it that I won't let her talk to me like she would to a friend.

Anonymous said...

i hear you, lynda!
nancy311