Monday, July 14, 2008

The food factor and infertility

At the Fertility Associates seminar last week it was pointed out that a diet without too much caffeine, or alcohol was the best way to go when TTC. Also smoking was mentioned as a big no-no. I had heard (all that) before and can tick all three boxes there - I have never smoked, currently don't drink caffeine and barely drink alcohol. Yet has this made a difference to my fertility? Nope.

I stopped having caffeine after my chemical pregnancy in December 2006. The thing is I had been drinking a lot of tea around that time and was afraid that had contributed to my loss. So I haven't had caffeine since. I also cut down on sugary food almost overnight. I was really afraid for any future pregnancies and decided to clean up my act. No pregnancies have occurred since this overhaul, but I have never felt so good physically with such a healthy diet. So it certainly wasn't a bad thing to do at all.

But I have been wondering lately if some factors in my diet could still be influencing my lack of ovulation/infertility. I have had this link on my blog for months, but haven't thought about it greatly - The Fertility Diet. It's a study with some interesting findings of how diet, exercise and weight control affect fertility. (Thanks Nancy311 for the info you also sent me about this). Read Fat, Carbs and the Science of Conception for a detailed account of the same study. It is particularly promising for women with ovulation issues like myself, claiming to turn infertility around quite dramatically. Well, anything's worth a go isn't it. Especially when you are as desperate as I am within SIF!

The main points made are:

  • Avoiding trans fats
  • Using more unsaturated vegetable oils, such as olive and canola oils. This also includes avocados, pumpkin and nuts
  • Eating more vegetable protein, like beans, peas, tofu and soybeans
  • Choosing whole grains
  • Drinking water
  • Taking a multivitamin
  • Eating iron-rich foods, such as vegetables and beans
  • Aiming for a healthy weight. Women who are overweight should lose between 5 and 10 percent of their weight. If too lean, possibly gaining 5 to 20 pounds can restart ovulation
  • Starting a daily exercise plan.

  • The study found a connection between carbohydrates and high insulin levels, so highly refined carbohydrates, such as potatoes, are not suggested. So the changes I'm going to make as a result of reading this study again include cutting down on potato consumption, and eating more proteins particularly in beans and nuts. Although I have yoghurt in my smoothie every morning, and typically a slice of cheese every lunchtime in a sandwich, I am also going to have either a glass of milk or an icecream a day. I also lost a few kgs after my recent op and am slowly putting weight back on. It's a good thing, as I know I was too skinny (for me) for a couple of months.

    A part of me thinks, hey I concieved four years ago and held the baby to term, with a much worse diet than I have now! But then four years ago I had regular, text-book cycles didn't I. My body is clearly quite different and imbalanced hormonally whatever way you look at it. And with the big 4-0 approaching fast next month, the sound of my biological clock ticking loudly (and frantically) is almost deafening!

    No comments: