Friday, April 18, 2008

Surgery in three weeks!

My gyno phoned me today. That's right, phoned me! Apparently you get a direct phone-call when the ultrasound results come in. The cyst is now 6.5cm - it was 5cm in December and the bottom-line is it is coming out. I'm having abdominal surgery on May 8th - in three weeks time.

I am still in shock. It's good news in some respects. But I had a cry after the surgery was booked in as I do still have residual issues about the surgery I had when my daughter was delivered. Believe me, it wasn't easy recovering from a c-section and an ovary being removed at the same time. My gyno can't just do a laparoscopy as because I only have one ovary, it's important the whole cyst is removed properly. I think that's the reason. To be honest I was in shock when he phoned on two accounts that : 1. he phoned and 2. I'm having surgery that I wasn't able to ask the questions I have now. Some notes are being mailed my way soon but as far as I know - there is no consult. It is downright scarey!

I am bummed out that I won't be able to go the gym for a bit. I can put my membership on hold for up to three months if I want. I think the recovery will be similar to my c-section and it was around six weeks, as recommended, that I started going for longer walks etc. Obviously I'm going to have to give up my cardio classes and won't be lifting weights for a bit. I'm not sure about work - I may not be able to work for a couple of weeks. Once the notes come through I will call my gyno's surgery if anything is unclear. Surely they can't just expect me to rock up for surgery feeling pretty clueless about the operation. I found a useful link about recovering from ovarian cyst removal surgery.

Anyway, it's good that something is being done about the cyst. But now I'm not even TTO! - let alone TTC. I'm out of the game completely for a while, it would seem. Sigh.

My gyno does think the cyst is impacting my fertility - but it's not known for certain. Obviously no more Clomid until the cyst is removed.

I'm feeling a bit raw. I was grateful that friend no. 1 phoned me after I texted her and that other friends texted me back too. I guess my biggest fear is that my only ovary may be under threat - like last time. One theory is a cyst that was on my right ovary may have caused it to twist when I was pregnant with my daughter which is why it was removed. Plus my daughter was sitting on the same side that the cyst and ovary were. But it's really not clear why my right ovary twisted on itself. Noone really knows.

I know God is looking out for me for sure. I definitely felt His presence today. It's a long road this one I'm on. But I'm being led somewhere, which is better than nowhere. The answers will come in time.

No comments: