Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Surgery notes arrived

Well I really feel like next weeks surgery is really happening now that my surgery notes have arrived. I have confirmed the date (May 8th - Thursday week) via a phone-call and sent off all the required forms for a general anaesthestic so it seems a lot more official now. I'm to be there on May 8th by 7.30am. I have a preadmission check appointment on Monday which takes about an hour. Apparently all questions can be answered then so it's a consult, I guess. I did ask about recovery time when I phoned to confirm the surgery - I was told similar to a c-section. "It is major surgery. You'll be up here for three to five nights".

I've been given a list of Suggested Items To Bring:
* Medications you are currently taking
* Slippers
* Dressing Gown
* Nightwear - Summer weight shortie style is best
* Toiletries - soap, shampoo, toothpaste and brush
* Tissues
* Biro
* Diversional activity eg books, knitting, cards
* Fruit juice as required
* TV's - require earplugs
* Small change if wanting to buy evening paper
* Clothes - comfortable for going home
* Electrical equipment eg shavers, radios, TV's, hairdryers must be checked by a Registered Electrican and have an accompanying label.

This list made me smile. It's such a different experience knowing surgery is coming up to being admitted to hospital via A&E like I was three years ago. I talked to my husband last night and we've decided to cancel my daughter's swimming and gymnastic classes for next term. I won't be able to drive for at least three weeks and don't want to be in a position of struggling with lifting her at her classes. My husband can get a few days off. Luckily for us Playgroup and Music (even though not my favourite places for MOT and MOTH infestations!) are within walking distance. And one of my daughters friends lives just up the road that she sees on Mondays.

I'm anticipating a recovery similar to my c-section since that's the advice I have been given. I recovered quite fast physically from my c-section as I did take it really easy and didn't lift anything heavy or drive for six weeks as recommended. I think the fear that has come up over the last few days has been about the general anaesthestic - that takes a little longer to get over. I am a woman who fights emotional highs and lows at the best of times and a general anaesthestic certainly isn't the best when you are wired like that. I have also been worried about complications in my surgery. I did unexpectantly lose an ovary during my last operation and that was traumatic. It took me a while to get over that loss and obviously some old stuff around that has resurfaced at this time. I guess I can ask about worse case scenario at my consult on Monday.

The pantomime was fun yesterday. My daughter got a little freaked when Puff came on stage and clung quite tightly to me for the whole performance but for the most part enjoyed it in a my-first-pantomime-and-it's-a-little-overwhelming-kind-of-a-way. Afterwards we had lunch with two MOO friends and their three year olds.

I have been enjoying a break from Playgroup. We're not going today either - going to visit a MOTH friend this morning who I don't see much outside of the holidays. It's been great shaking things up over the school holidays and doing something different. School's back next week so we'll be back into our Playgroup and Music routine then.

I am feeling better now that the paperwork has arrived and I've been able to make some decisions around what happens after my surgery such as freezing my gym membership for two months. I am nervous and scared and dreading the operation in many ways but, like anything, the way this op has all flowed seems to be a very clear indicator that it is exactly what is meant to be happening at this time. (dammit!)

1 comment:

Ovarian Cyst said...

I've never had surgery in my life but it must be a very hard time. I hope you feel better now.